Distillation Chemist Level II.
An exciting role as a Distillation Chemist Level II., based in Danbury, Connecticut.
Current shifts available:
1st shift hours: Monday – Friday, 6:30am – 3:00pm
2nd shift hours: Monday – Friday, 2:30pm – 11:00pm (12.5% shift differential included)
This function provides purification of organic chemicals using distillation techniques and related support systems. Duties may include transporting, weighing, pumping, mixing, cooling, analysis of various chemical substances, and completion of batch process documentation and administrative tasks. May be required to assist in the training of new hires. This involves a range of activities including:
- Sets up and adjusts distillation Equipment. Will operate heating, cooling, vacuum and pressure systems.
- Transport, weigh, mix and pump chemical materials.
- Uses analytical equipment for assessing quality of distillation cuts and final products. Understands principles of operation of the equipment and can interpret results. With supervision, can modify process parameters to accommodate unexpected deviations from the norm.
- Monitoring of process parameters to ensure product quality, yields and lot consistency. May be expected to assess sub-optimal distillation conditions, discuss and recommend corrective system parameters.
- May prepare test results or reports as directed.
- Proper care, safety, maintenance and usage of technology, equipment, and/or systems.
- Maintain an organized and clean work area.
- May assist in training or serve as a technical resource for Distillation Technicians and Distillation Chemist I.
- Reference available documentation to determine appropriate distillation parameters, and adhere to the production schedule.
- Be proficient in the use of the Chameleon inventory browser/database.
- Maintain all necessary production, safety, inventory, training, and other records and/or logs as required, in written and /or computer format.
- Receives and carries out instructions on specific assignment objectives.
- Read, understand, and carryout all department and companywide SOP’s.
- Be prepared to assist and carryout instructions in an emergency or high stress scenario.
- Understands and complies with all BRI safety, environmental, food safety policies and procedures.
- Performs related work as assigned.
- BS in Chemistry or related field and two to five years’ experience in distillation.
- Be proficient in comprehension and knowledge of the principles and techniques of vacuum distillation and gas chromatographic analysis.
- Must have knowledge of the principles and techniques of organic and analytical chemistry.
- Ability to learn, and apply interchangeably, Metric and Imperial standards of weights and measures.
- Must be able to identify batch variation and understand when to alert a supervisor.
- Be able to identify problematic issues in equipment within the department.
- Can correlate data from related processes and apply that information in troubleshooting and process improvements.
- Be proficient in abilities and skills involving the operation of vacuum distillation and support equipment.
- Must be able to attain knowledge of piping and valve operations to control processes.
- Be proficient in conducting gas chromatographic analyses and interpreting results.
- Must be able to learn and apply the evaluation of materials by odor.
We offer… a competitive compensation and benefit package including medical, dental, Bonus program, profit sharing and 401k.
An Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace.