An exciting role as Ph.D. Research Chemist in our R&D Lab located in Danbury, Connecticut – Production Facility. In this role you will develop, document, communicate and implement new or improved chemical processes for production at BRI using standard laboratory equipment, a reaction calorimeter, as well as standard analytical equipment such as a GC, DSC, and MS. This position covers a range of activities including:
- Researches and conducts experiments to improve the cost, safety and throughput of existing syntheses.
- Proposes and conducts efficient and practical syntheses of new products.
- Perform and summarize literature searches of chemical transformations pertaining to business interests.
- Understand and apply concepts of Design of Experiments (DoE) methodology to identify critical process parameters and define permissible ranges.
- Perform calorimetry studies and interpret the data in order to develop safe operating instructions.
- Define specification limits of raw materials, intermediates, and final products.
- Impurity identification using mass spectrometry.
- Prepare and purify compounds as needed for analytical method development and reference standards.
- Fully understand physical and chemical changes resulting from process conditions to define control needs to Production.
- Execute responsibilities with a high degree of urgency and autonomy requiring minimal oversight by immediate manager.
- Provide effective communication by summarizing findings through technical reports and presentations.
- Develop, write, and edit SOPs as needed, ensuring valid and accurate information.
- Work with Production team to identify continuous improvement opportunities around safety, quality, yield, and manufacturing cost that can be proven in lab, optimized, and implemented in Production.
- Provide production support as needed to resolve process challenges.
- Promote a safe work environment. For BRI chemistries, identify hazards and quantify potential impact of process deviations. Work with Production and Engineering departments to mitigate hazards as needed.
- Report results, draw conclusions and make data-based recommendations to management and Production.
- Other responsibilities or projects as assigned by manager.
- PhD degree from an accredited college or university.
- Knowledge of synthetic organic chemistry principles and techniques.
- A passionate love of chemistry.
- Ability to set up, calibrate, operate and maintain standard laboratory equipment.
- Continued development and knowledge of research techniques, technology, literature, equipment, and/or systems.
- Ability to compile research data into a robust process.
- Strong analytical skills which provide data that ensures effective data-driven outcomes.
- Skilled in both oral and written communication.
- Ability to comply with all BRI environmental and safety policies and procedures.
We Offer… a competitive compensation and benefit package including medical, dental, Bonus program, profit sharing and 401k. Relocation package available for the right candidate.
An Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace.